Friday, June 18, 2010

Two day summary: Day 7 and Day 8: Berea to Bardstown

Things have been going very well thus far. At this moment, I am in Utica, KY with Sebastian and Stephanie, two engineers who go to school at a technical university in New York. They are also biking cross country. I met them at the D & L Country Store when I became stranded from the Bike the US for MS group. Instead of going 50 miles with them, I ended up going 70 miles to Harden Springs, KY. Not good especially after biking 110 miles the day before, from Berea, KY to Bartontown, KY (10 hours on a bike!). Not to mention a very large storm was brewing in the distance. Arnold the store owner was very kind. He fed us pizza, tuna fish, cucumbers, and freshly picked onions. He has a lovely wife and daughter who we spoke with much of the night. The wife and the daughter made a tasty treat made of potatoes, powdered sugar, and peanut butter. We got a hot shower in then turn in to sleep. We slept outside under the pavilion to avoid the rain. I slept well then we got up early to go to Utica the next morning.

We started out for Utica around 7:30 AM this morning. Today was basically uneventful. I saw the MS truck past me, but I didn’t feel like stopping especially after yesterday’s experience. I just trudged on and stayed with Sebastian and Stephanie. There are a lot of big trucks on the road, but with the three of us biking in a straight line, it makes things a lot safer! Upon arrival to a convenience store in Utica, a man, who I believe to be the fire chief, asked us if we needed a place to stay tonight. We immediately nodded our head in unison. We brought some ice cream and snacks then headed off to the fire station for some hot showers. We made pizza and presto pasta for dinner. Now I am about to head off to bed. My fingers are numb and not functioning properly. Good night…..

No comments:

Post a Comment