Friday, July 9, 2010

Chanute, KS to Cassoday,KS


Today was a great day of riding. We started off early and did about 35 miles. We stopped just outside of Toronto,KS, where we had a late breakfast of biscuts and gravy at the Lizard Country Store. I even got a cool lizard souvenir! I would have to say that these were the best biscuits and gravy of the whole trip. Big, fluffy biscuits with a hearty gravy on top. Nothing can beat this meal. I proceeded onto Eureka,KS. While on the way there, through the famous "Flint Hills", we crossed paths with Su and Lou biking west to east ( yes these are their names). They started from San Francisco, CA and were biking to Charlottesville, VA for graduate school. We exchanged experiences and contact information then we went our separate ways. 15 miles later I reached Eureka, KS. I ended up stopping there for lunch. While at one of its local grocery stores I met Dakota 11 and Adrian 10, two aspiring BMX cyclists. I brought them some lunch and I chatted with them while we ate. When I asked them how far Cassoday,KS was, the both claimed that they could run there in 10 minutes. After finally arriving there, I can say that the distance is longer than 1
0 minutes running :).I continued to bike on. The ride to Cassoday had ALOT of Flint Hills!! I rolled right past the turn for Rosilia,KS ( the town before Cassoday). The sign was small and impossible to see especially when I'm going 30 MPH down a long hill! Its funny, Cows love cyclists. It is especially cool when they bunch up and follow me while I'm riding. Checkout this picture.


They great part about biking is when you see the water tower for a town you will be either eating at or staying. Nothing tops off a day like seeing a water tower.


Until next time


-RJ

No comments:

Post a Comment